Russell Crowe -- Good Guy! - 4

This page is in response to the bad press Russell sometimes gets.
These are actual encounters or reprints of something that appeared in the media.

Good Guy 1 ... Good Guy 2 ... Good Guy 3 ... Good Guy 4

From: Mail On Sunday - October 22nd 2006 - You Magazine interview with Marion Cottilard -- "'Russell is very attractive, a good kisser and a very nice, simple guy. He's not macho in real life at all,' insists Marion. 'You should see him with his wife, Danielle: I think he couldn't be macho with his wife, because she is a strong character, very smart and straight. He's a real man, you know, he has that Man Thing,' she adds laughing,' but he has a very good balance between the emotion and the strength. That's why he's an amazing actor and a great guy.' And despite the short fused New Zealander's reputation for not being entirely safe around hotel phones....Marion saw a very different side to Russell during the filming. 'I remember we were shooting during the night and we were behind schedule; people were tired and wanting to go home, because it was three in the morning. So he brought red wine along for everyone; it was kind of magic. He was funny and we were all happy, because he really took care of the crew. That's the kind of man he is'." - Thanks, Galliia


Russell donated 5000 Euros (~$6300USD) to the charity, Wir Helfen Kindern and it looks like they raised 22,000 Euros (~$28,000) at the dinner. Can't copy the text to a free translator but I think that is accurate. - From Cindy (10/20/06)

4/2006 - Russell has donated a Rabbitoh jersey from the Australia day concert, for auction, to benefit the flying ambulance service. - Thanks, barbiecat


The SMH: Something to Crowe about Sunday, November 5, 2000

THERE have been many descriptions of our Russell Crowe of late. But "big hearted" has not been one of them. Until now. Crowe secretly donated half the $231,000 box-office take from the three gigs his band 30 Odd Foot of Grunts played in Austin, Texas, to the widow of a State trooper murdered in the city when the band were there. He gave the rest to a local medical clinic serving low-income families.

Here's another old RC interview with Kevin Connor from 2000

I want to mention that all the money raised for the ticket sales will be going to a charity here in Austin, The People’s Community Clinic, so thank you very much for that.
RC: Cool. Well, we -- you know, the costs of us being down here, were already sort of covered, you know.
KC: By whom?
RC: By me, actually! (laughter) So it was already sort of put in place and it was already a done deal, you know, that we were going to be here. The show is like a secondary thing. We didn’t realize people were going to go so crazy. So that leaves us with a whole bunch of money that, you know, we thought we’d just leave in the community, rather than hang it in the saddlebags.

Thursday, August 10th 2000
Russell Crowe mania is getting a reprise Friday with the second of three sold-out shows by his band, Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts. Look for many more out-of-towners at this one, as more tickets were sold online and over the phone. There were still plenty of fans dying to see Russell at the first show, lining up outside Stubb's early and staying glued to the front of the stage late (the show went past midnight). Others weren't so impressed: the crowd nearer the back started thinning out about halfway through. One thing that hasn't been widely reported is that the band is donating all profits to the People's Community Clinic, a local heath care provider for the needy. In a statement last week, Crowe said, "Austinites have given us a big warm Texas welcome, and this is our big-hearted Australian thank you."

Rainforest Railway News 2003: "Town water has been connected to GMR's property at Glenreagh West and action will shortly be taken to install underground piping to connect water to the shed and water tanks. The water tanks will be used to water the loco. Our thanks go to Doctor John Kramer who donated an electric pump to pump water into the loco from the tanks. Our thanks also go to Russell Crowe who donated one of the tanks as well as 170 sleepers."
Extract from NSW Legislative Assembly Hansard. Article No.45 of 03/07/2003. This record is a Corrected Copy. RUSSELL CROWE COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT Page: 2883

New friends help school turn the page on hatred

CJAD Radio -Montreal

The Courier Mail: Bali bombing brings pain and joy - There will be two anniversaries for Bali bombing victim Ben Tullipan on Tuesday.


RUSSELL CROWE is being hailed a hero in his adopted Australia after helping to save a young boy's life following a deadly snake bite.

The GLADIATOR star turned saviour when little GEORGE COX, five, was bitten by a venomous brown snake on his family's estate near Sydney.

Crowe heard about the youngster's fight for life on the local news and called Cox's parents to offer his support and prayers.

Knowing that "the Gladiator man" was praying for him gave little George the extra strength he needed to pull away from death.

His father GEOFF COX says, "If it wasn't for Russell Crowe, our little boy would be dead."


George Cox returns to the spot in his backyard where he was bitten by a brown snake.
Real-life survivor
20.10.2004 - By DAVID MOASE

LIFE-THREATENING situations are nothing new for five-year-old George Cox.

In the first three months of his life, George twice came close to death — first when he was born six weeks premature and later when he almost suffocated in a cot.

Last Friday, the youngster was again battling for survival after being bitten twice by a venomous brown snake in the backyard of his Glenreagh home.

That he survived may be as much to do with his father Geoff’s first aid and the combined efforts of ambulance and Westpac Rescue Helicopter crews and the staff at Coffs Harbour Health Campus as George’s will to live, but there is no doubt he is a survivor.

"If he was a cat, he’d only have six lives left," Geoff said.

Seeing George, now fully recovered, being chased by his brother, Riley, along the veranda of their home this week you would not know he had been fighting for life just a few days earlier.

But when the chase ends with a screen door slamming into three-year-old Riley’s face, it shows just how quickly a children’s game can turn sour.

The youngsters were playing together about noon last Friday when they found the snake in grass near a pond behind their home.

The animal was caught in a piece of chicken wire and the pair were going to tell a neighbour but — boys being boys — they could not resist touching the animal.

They patted it near the tail and when the snake did not react, George tried to touch it near the head, with disastrous consequences.

The 1.5 metre brown snake twice sunk its fangs into George’s hand.

"When he came back to the house he said he had been bitten by a carpet snake," Geoff said.

"It wasn’t until he showed us where it happened that we saw it was a brown."

At first, George did not seem too badly affected by the bite but once the venom began to take affect, he suffered a seizure and purple sports began to appear on his skin.

For the next 12 hours, the youngster’s life hung in the balance.

His father administered first aid until ambulances, the Glenreagh Heart Start unit and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter arrived.

George was flown to Coffs Harbour Health Campus and his young body pumped with the contents of 10 vials of antivenene in a desperate bid to save him.

"We nearly lost him when he first arrived at the hospital," his mother Cherie said.

It wasn’t until late on Friday night that he was out of danger.

George is reluctant to talk about his experience but he smiles when the ride in the helicopter is mentioned. His first words after the ordeal were: "Mum, I had a ride in a real cool helicopter."

Geoff and Cherie are enormously grateful for the efforts of the helicopter crew and everyone who worked to save George.

"I hope this highlights the need for the Westpac helicopter," Geoff said.

"People often complain about the health service but for us it couldn’t have worked better.

"Everyone worked together perfectly, did a great job and kept us informed all the time."

Cherie is now having second thoughts about allowing George to pat a snake at a recent reptile show.

"You just wonder if the children understand the message that some snakes are dangerous and that you shouldn’t touch them in the wild," she said.

Geoff added: "In the end though, the snake that bit George was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it hadn’t become caught it would have been long gone.

"The boys know to wear their boots when they go out to play and snakes are a part of living here. George is a very, very lucky boy."


The original article at SMH

Russell in village he calls home By Matthew Benns - March 30 2003 -- The Sun-Herald


Another article on Heartstart ...

To a better place - Spotlight on Coffs Harbour
The Daily Telegraph - By NICOLE LENOIR-JOURDAN - 16 AUG 2003

Not just a celebrity enclave, Coffs Harbour is fantastic for families. NICOLE LENOIR-JOURDAN reports

The sea change phenomenon is striking everywhere -- and everyone. Even Russell Crowe's doing it.

Coffs Harbour's most famous resident is one of many celebrities to make the move to the Big Banana and surrounding districts. The area's better known faces include Wendy Matthews, David Helfgott, Larry Emdur, George Negus, and Jack Thompson. The Australian Wallabies have also claimed it as their home away from home.

Yet it is Crowe who has found a place in the locals' hearts.

Local Century 21 real estate agent Steve Varley says: ``He's one of nature's gentlemen. Anything the community needs, Russell will help with. He's donated a HeartStart machine for Nana Glen and Coramba. He's built the local community swimming pool and he sponsors the Orara Valley Axemen, a local football team.''

Now that Crowe and new wife Danielle Spencer are expecting their first child, they have made Jocelynd, Nana Glen, their permanent residence because according to Russell, "`it's the most liveable place in the world''.


True grit in the Crowe's nest
The Herald Sun - 11/30/03
Weir and Crowe met in 2000, when the actor gave $40,000 to a Sydney theatre company for a musical production of A Clockwork Orange.
Weir's daughter was the show's production designer.
"We met in a bar after a performance and ended up having about a three-hour conversation, the basis of which was ‘What should we do together?' " recalled Crowe.

Signing on for `Kids Under Cover' - 24/11/97 - Thanks, Kittie

Back to Main